Thursday, August 25, 2011

The rise of the fitted sheet

Pastel 8x12  
done as a quickie taking about 15 minutes
Some things take more time



My house is full of magical things.  When I press a button, ice drops into my glass. Seemingly, I have an unending supply of the frozen stuff.   My glass is cleaned by another touch of a button. Running through a magic box even the air in my house stays cool in the heat of summer.  All of these magical devices are amazing!

Struck with a fit of consideration and wanting to impress my wife, I decided to help around the house and try to operate two magical devices in my home: the washer and dyer. 

First every man needs goals in life.. To achieve the goals, men need a clear path or a plan of action.  My goals were simple.  My heroic quests were to clean linen and clean the bathes and bedrooms.  So here is my tale as it actually occurred. No names have been changed to protect the guilty.

It was a dark, stormy day and the workers in the fields paused to consider the threat of…………….wait wrong story.    So after filling the washer with linen, I paused to consider the settings and my main concern was the water temperature.  Do I select cold/cold?  Warm/cold?  Hot/warm?  I decided the hotter the better.  If the washer had the setting “the face of the sun” I would have chosen that.

After washing and drying the linens, the task of making the beds was next.  First at bat were the fitted sheets.  One corner fell in defeat. Satisfied in my victory, I tucked the second corner and then the third.  The last corner is when my plan found difficulty.   When I attempted to tuck the last corner another corner would suddenly spring free.  I made at least six trips around the bed doing a fitted sheet merry-go-round.   With each attempt to fasten the last corner another corner acquired the urge for freedom.  I could not suppress the linen uprising.

Frustrated by the audacity of the fitted sheet, I paused.  Then I jumped back on the line merry-go-round for more fun.  Finally after 20 minutes, I defeated the unruly sheet.  

In the glow of victory, I paused to consider the battlefield and thought, “I think I should select cold/cold next time.”

No comments: