Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Art Show and the Homeless Man



I recently had art show.  Throughout the night, I causally walked through the crowd and engaged in many wonderful conversations. I adore discussing art and after the show my voice was raw from use.

After the show I stopped for gas at a near station preparing for a long and late trip home.  At the station, a homeless man approached and asked, “Sir can I ask for your help?”


I have many quirks. One quirk is the inability to say no to the homeless when they ask for help.  In my life, I have never failed to give money if I had money to give. I once lied to a homeless man telling him that I had no money when I did. After walking twenty feet, I felt so guilty that I returned to the man and give money to him.

On vacations in large cities, I give all my money to my wife.  This method is trickery however it works.  Also I do not consider a debit card to be money.  So technically I do not have money, on my person. 

So while pumping gas I ironically and confidently replied to the man, “I am sorry but I don’t have money.

The man pushed, “The people in this town are cruel. I am not from here. I would not waste your time asking for your money.  I need some food. Just a little. Not much at all.” 

With his rebuttal he defeated my gambit, which has been so successful in the past. Showing him my cash barren wallet I continued, “I don’t have money. But when I pay for my gas, I can buy you some food from the station.”

Again he parried, “I don’t want anything from here. I am hungry. Can I please have some real food?”

“Wait here. Let me pay for my gas and I will drive you to Wendy’s which is right down the road.”

So after an art show, a homeless man and I drove to a Wendy's. After Wendy’s I drove him to a shelter.   He liked eighties music. So I found a good radio station that played the classics while we enjoyed the cool night air.   He told me about his life. He is from a farming community in south Arkansas and he is trying for a new start.

A few days later, my wife downloaded the recent bank transactions. Curious, she asked, “Larry did you spend about 20 dollars at Wendy’s?"  

I nodded, “Yes, a homeless guy was really hungry! And wow, He could eat!”

Laughing she said, “You are not kidding; are you?”


Yes I have issues.  But how many people, driving a topless jeep, have drove around town with a homeless guy while listening to “And we Danced” by the Hooters and eating a Wendy's meal?

As always, be good to you! 

No comments: