Wednesday, August 24, 2011

directions




First, I want to offer a fair warning to readers. Today, I might linger until the end of time while beating the keys of my computer. This entry might be long and wade into deep waters.

At this moment rain is cleansing the world outside my window.  Summer’s grip is failing and fall is readying for a visit.   This transition often stirs my emotions through the trigging of memories.  So during this time of year, I am often captured looking backwards through the decades.

I do not consider myself a good artist. I don’t even consider myself a competent artist.  Yet, I have the soul and spirit of an artist and I at least attempt to feebly create. Having an artistic or romantic outlook has massive benefits. Artists are generally a happy lot. However locked with the benefits of a creative spirit are many major pitfalls. One disadvantage is melancholy.  Often, melancholy is a frequent companion to people who create.  Great artists such as Van Gogh and Hemmingway struggled with the visitation of melancholy. 

We should careful with our perspective.  The past can hold powerful lures that entrap and steal gifts from the present.  If we endlessly pounder our past innocence then how can we nourish our current sense of innocence?

Melancholy, especially lingering melancholy, is often the result of a wrong outlook that builds a fortification in the past.  We need an outlook, which builds a temporary campsite in the past: a place where we visit yet not stay.

So, when we remember past friends, events, lost family, or circumstances let’s make sure that we have a proper perspective. Let’s be quick to forgive but quicker to be thankful.  Nothing of importance is really lost unless we purposely place it as lost. 

Outside of true hardships, very moment in time is wonderful with the present standing above all. Always be good to yourself. Have faith. Be friendly.  And, engage life. 

No comments: