Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cheater Cheater




In one sudden leap, summer has turned to fall and the heat is an oppression of the past.  With the cooler weather, I have a restless urge to explore.  My backpack is on standby. Nellie, my dog, is ready.  My have blank pages and plenty of ink.  So, this week I am going to cross a few fields with my friend, Nellie. 

In my last blog, I wrote about breaking my hand, which was broke last year. I blame Nellie for the break and Nellie places the blame upon me.  Here is the tale and I will let readers place proper blame.

Nellie and I have a love love relationship. She loves me and I love her.  We show our love through a game of chase, which is actually not chase. The game should be called, “Run around a like fool for no apparent reason and in random directions until exhausted.”   I call our game chase because the label makes me feel less stupid.

During a chase session, I paused in middle of the backyard and I decided to surrender the game.   I glanced at the backdoor, which was open. Nellie glanced at the door. I looked at Nellie and she looked at me.  We took another glance at the door. I did NOT start the race!

Nellie is a monster lab topping 90 pounds and though my memory of the accident is not sharp, I do know basic physics.  A beast of a dog and a grown man can’t fit through a door at a dead run at the same time.  Yes, at a full sprint I hit the doorframe shattering a bone in my hand.  The pain was intense.

With an inquisitive tilted head, Nellie looked at me while panting and proudly standing in the house.   In pain I protested my loss,  “Nellie you cheated!”   Not only does she think the break was my fault but she also thinks she fairly won the race. 

3 comments:

badthing1 said...

Ow.

Look at the bright side. It could have been worse...Nellie could have broken a paw too.

Lesson from the school of Hard Knocks: Nellie and you will not be doing this again.

Even though you'll always blame each other, your love will conquer all.

;)

LOVE WILL CONQUER ALL (Lionel Richie)

Here we are
Out here me and you
Reaching out each other
Is all that we can do

Here we stand
Trying not to fall
There's no need to worry
Love will conquer all

Do you really want to know
Just how long love will last
Will all of the bad times pass
How can we make things right

Ooh and why
Why is the world so unkind,
We surely can find peace of mind
If we only see the light, can't we that

Here we are
Out here me and you
Reaching out each other
Is all that we can do

Ooh here we stand
Trying not to fall
There's no need to worry
Love will conquer all

Can somebody tell me why
Why do our dreams go wrong
Why can't we all belong
Ooh, where do we start
Oh and tell me when
When will we ever learn
There's nowhere else we can turn
The truth is in our hearts, here we are together
Sometimes the road gets hard to travel
Sometimes the pains too much to bear
Sometimes when life seems to unravel
That's the time oh - to say
We're gonna make it anyway
Can't we see that

Here we are
Out here me and you
Reaching out each other
Is all that we can do

Here we stand
Trying not to fall
There's no need to worry
Love will conquer all

(ad lib... fade)

Suzanne Stout said...

And all along I thought it was from Nellie yanking the leash. I can't believe you ran into the door. On the bright side, at least you are healed. We cannot have our favorite artist walking around without a working hand. Now, try not to let the dog win!

Unknown said...

Thanks Marilyn! Nellie is like a kid; she can endure a lot. KIds wrestle, fall, and tackle. These things would put me in a hospital.

Suzanne, she out-smarts me!