Thursday, July 10, 2008

Texture



This is an older painting and I was exploring texture.

I always loved texture…..I enjoy grittiness and roughness. When drawing, I never blend with a finger or a blending stump. And, with pastel, a ‘finger tap” is all the blending which I will embrace. Texture gives the viewers something to ponder when their noses are a few inches from the canvas.
With this work, I actually placed a mixture of sand and glue to the paper.

I am sure there is some emotional reason for my rough preference. Maybe I want to inject masculinity or power into my work. I do not know. Yet, we do nothing without a reason

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your work is beautiful. I'm glad I took the sidetrip from the gun talk on Marilyn's site. Your comments there have been refreshing. It's nice to know some men don't need a gun to feel empowered.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your visit! I worry at time that I am too aggressive.

But the problem of voice has to be addressed. Sadly people equate tone to rightfulness. Though I do not agree, I can't ignore this misconception.

However personally, I must admit to the allure of warm people, nice people wanting to promote good change.

Anonymous said...

Larry, I enjoyed looking at the images of your paintings (as always) and reading your thoughts about art. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jim. I had a great time at the gallery with you.

One of the most peaceful things is watching a person paint. It is very relaxing.

I will write on your work in short order. I was caught in a transition between ISPs.